5 Gluten Free Misconceptions

Hiya,

For me, becoming gluten free is definitely a journey and there are misconceptions held by lots of people especially when starting a gluten-free journey. I know I had a tinted view a few years ago when I first started eating gluten free foods. (If you would like to know more about my journey of diagnosis click here). I thought sharing misconceptions will not only help those starting their gluten-free journey but will also be for those on their journey who can relate.

1. I can make my own bread rather than pay high prices.

One of my first thoughts when realising I would have to follow a no gluten diet was it's fine I can just make bread myself as it's so expensive to buy. Little did I know the reason so few people make bread is because of how hard it actually is! I know there are certainly some recipes out there that will help, however nothing beats the ease of making freshly made bread that is light, airy and easy to slice (this will definitely remain a dream for now!). However if you are looking for a cheaper way to have bread, you can buy when it's reduced and put in the freezer until you need it.

Gluten free baguettes (using @coeliac_teen_dairy_free_queen's recipe)
 

2. Being gluten-free is just a fad diet and if you just eat a little bit it won't hurt. 

This is something I'm sure you can all relate to and understand, and is probably one of the more serious misconceptions but this is where educating others on the impacts of allergies and cross contamination is so important. I will never forget the first time (and last time) my friends told me 'to just have a little bit, you'll be fine' and when I told them how allergies are actually when you eat gluten not just when you eat a large volume; all of their faces dropped and that was when they realised the impacts of allergies have! So remember to stay safe and double check the labels!

3. If the food is labelled 'gluten-free' then it is safe.

Checking labels is something I thought I wouldn't have to do when shopping for food labelled 'gluten free' but there are some products out their stating 'gluten free' but they contain oats or have a may contain warning so make sure to check and then double check!

4. Being gluten free means you are really healthy. 

Actually it doesn't! There is nothing I enjoy more than sitting down to a lovely gluten free cake or takeaway. Granted there are opportunities where you have to decline the cake being shared around at work or the biscuit's with your tea but this is just about choices not actually following the gluten free diet. By eating a gluten free cake you are not taking the healthier choice but are avoiding your allergies. 

Lovely rich chocolate cake (Jamie Oliver recipe)

5. You only need to cut out bread and pasta. 

Nope not at all, This links back to checking labels but there are many foods that those avoiding gluten can't eat, such as: strawberry laces, gravy, crisps, chips, sauces and meat. Meat might seem a weird one but last week, my family bought a crispy aromatic duck assuming I could eat the duck and use rice wraps instead of the wraps in the box but I couldn't, and this is something that still shocks me, as there are many foods that you would assume are safe but are filled with gluten containing ingredients so remember to stay safe and check the box!

I hope you have enjoyed reading these misconceptions and do let me know how many you relate to by messaging or tagging me on Instagram @the.glutenfreediet

Much Love

X





Comments